What they don’t tell you about Valentine’s Day
- It’s not all hearts and roses-it marks the execution of Valentine; a priest who performed marriages against the Roman Emperor’s order during times of war.
- It started as a Roman holiday where the men would hit women with bloody strips of animal hide made from sacrificial animals to bring about fertility and play “love games” in front of the crowd.
- Chocolate was prescribed to ease certain “pinings” for love by doctors in the 1800s; it is now a billion dollar holiday for the chocolate industry, which also has a dark history including child slavery.
- Most people view Cupid as a matchmaker, but he is the son of Venus, goddess of love, and Mars, god of war. Could explain some things? Just sayin.
- You don’t need a holiday to tell people you love them.
If you’re into dark romance or romantic thrillers, check out my book on Amazon.